Sunday, October 3, 2010





How time passes.

I have not updated my blog in quite some time. I regret this. Although, over the past months much has occurred.

I have had various artistic advances and accomplishments, yet, I feel the most relevant have been more personal in nature. Starting this year I began walking throughout New York City. Focusing primarily on three of the five boroughs my exploration has been rather extensive. Walks were with a friend of mine, who also has been involved in much soul searching.

Now, for me to say I am very familiar with New York City would be disingenuous. Of course, that is not to say I am completely ignorant of The Big Apple, either. But, now that I have spent a fair amount of time exploring this city so close to my heart, I can honestly say I have seen more than many that spend their lives there.

Our walks would occur only once or twice a week. Generally, we would meet up at Penn Station or Union Square and begin walking. Sometimes with specific destinations, sometimes without. Walks usually would venture anywhere from 8 to 24 miles in each day. Locations included Flushing, all the neighborhoods of Manhattan, Yankee Stadium (before they tore down the old remnants of the real structure), Citifield, Prospect Park, Wall Street, Battery Park, The Cloisters, Chinatown (Oh! how we explored Chinatown!), Coney Island, and so many other places.

Our longest trek was when we met at Flushing and walked in a zig-zag down to Coney Island. It was a 24 mile walk in February, all the while I was sniffling because of a cold.

One of the themes on several of our walks included finding graffiti artwork. Information could be found online of specific pieces and locations, which we visited a few times. On one day in January we went to The Freedom Tunnel. A spot, I highly recommend checking out. Access was through a cut chainlink fence, which has been repaired since our visit. The tunnel runs over 50 city blocks underground. In the time that we walked maybe two trains came by. Light was provided from gratings up top, which provided spotlights onto walls which graffiti artists used to spraypaint their tags.

I must return sometime this fall as it is an ever evolving "gallery." I'm itching to redocument images.

No comments:

Post a Comment