Saturday, October 9, 2010

Published!



My artwork has been selected for publication in the Lark Books' upcoming book, 500 Raku. I'm very excited and happy about this. Well, as one can imagine.

The work being published is part of my Hollowmen Series. Hollowmen Series I is the first grouping of Raku fired figures which are inspired by T S Eliot's poem 'The Hollowmen.' I wanted to create figures which lacked a core, they were hollowed out without an essence, which led me to distort their bodies by eliminating the torso section. A whole exists in their center. They contort and twist in order to avoid detection, not wanting to be seen or to see the others around them.

My choice in Raku was because of the charred, dark surface that could be produced. Along with sections of spotted glaze the decrepid and somewhat ominous surface reinforces the contorted and desperately twisting form.

No comments:

Post a Comment